Pages

HERR FIX-IT-UP



Fix-It-Up had been a soldier for a long time. When the war came to an end, however, and there was nothing but the same old things to do every day, he resigned from the army and decided to become a servant for a great lord. There would be clothes trimmed with gold, a lot to do, and always new things happening. So he set out on his way and came to a foreign court, where he saw a lord taking a walk in the garden. Fix-It-Up did not hesitate. He moved briskly over to the lord and said, "Sir, I'm looking for employment with a great lord. If Your Majesty is himself such a person, it would give me great pleasure to serve you. There's nothing I don't know or can't do. I know just how to carry out orders, no matter how they are given."
"Fine, my son," the lord said. "I'd be pleased to have you. First tell me, what do I desire right now?"
Without answering, Fix-It-Up spun around, rushed away, and returned with a pipe and tobacco.
"Fine, my son. You are hired as my servant, but now I'm going to command you to get Princess Nomini, the most beautiful maiden in the world. I want to have her for my wife."
"All right," said Fix-It-Up. "That's a trifle for me. Your Majesty shall soon have her. Just give me a coach drawn by six horses, a coachman, guards, couriers, servants, and a cook, all in full dress. I myself must have princely garments, and everyone must obey my commands."
Soon they departed. Fix-It-Up, the servant, sat inside the coach, which headed straight toward the beautiful princess's court. When the road came to an end, they drove into a field and soon reached the edge of a large forest filled with many thousands of birds. A boisterous song soared splendidly into the blue air.
"Stop! Stop!" exclaimed Fix-It-Up. "Don't disturb the birds. They are praising their creator and will serve me some other time. Let's go to the left."
So the coachman had to turn and drive around the forest. Soon after, they came to a large field, where close to a thousand million ravens were sitting and crying shrilly for food.
"Stop! Stop!" exclaimed Fix-It-Up. "Untie one of the horses way up front. Lead it into the field and slaughter it so that the ravens can eat. I don't want them to suffer from hunger."

After the ravens had eaten, the journey continued, and they came to a pond with a fish in it that was moaning and groaning: "For God's sake, I have nothing to eat in this terrible swamp. Throw me into a running river, and I'll repay your deed one day."
Before the fish could even finish speaking, Fix-It-Up had exclaimed, "Stop! Stop! Cook, put the fish in your apron. Coachman, drive it to a running river."
Fix-It-Up himself got out and threw the fish into the water, and the fish flapped its tail in joy.
"Now, get the horses going," said Fix-It-Up. "We must arrive at the designated spot by evening."
When he reached the royal residence, he drove straight to the best inn, where the innkeeper and all his people came out and welcomed him in their best manners, thinking that a foreign king had arrived, though it was only a servant. Fix-It-Up had himself announced at the royal court, where he endeavored to make a good impression and court the princess.
"My son," said the king, "many such suitors have already been turned away because they couldn't perform the tasks I assigned them to win my daughter."
"All right," said Fix-It-Up, "set any kind of hard task that you want me to do."
"I've ordered a quarter of a liter of poppy seeds to be sown in a field. If you can gather them so that not one kernel is missing, you shall have the princess for your wife."
"Hoho!" Fix-It-Up thought, "that's not much for me." He then took a measuring cup, a sack, and snow-white sheets, went out to the field, and spread the sheets next to the field where the seeds had been sown. Soon after, those birds whose singing he had left undisturbed in the forest arrived, and they picked up the seeds, kernel after kernel, and carried them to the white sheets. When the birds had picked up all of them, Fix-It-Up poured them into the sack, took the measuring cup under his arm, went to the king, and measured out the poppy seeds for him. Now he thought the princess was already his— but he was wrong.
"One thing more, my son," said the king. "My daughter has recently lost her golden ring. You must return it to me before you can have her."
Fix-It-Up did not get upset. "Let Your Majesty show me the river and bridge where the ring was lost, then I shall soon return it to you."
When Fix-It-Up was brought there, he looked down, and there he saw the fish that he had thrown into the river. It stuck its head out into the air and said, "Wait a moment. I'll dive below. A whale has the ring underneath its fins, and I'll fetch it."
Indeed, the fish soon returned and tossed the ring onto the shore. Fix-It-Up brought it to the king, but the latter replied, "Now, just one more thing. There's a unicorn in the forest, and it's been causing a great deal of damage. If you can kill it, there's nothing more you'll have to do."
Fix-It-Up did not get very upset here either. Instead, he went straight into the forest, where he came across the ravens whom he had once fed.
"Just have a little more patience," they said. "The unicorn is lying down and sleeping, but it's not on the side where you can see its eye. When it turns over, we'll peck out its good eye. Then it'll be blind and run furiously against trees and get itself stuck with its horn. That's when you'll be able to kill it easily."
Soon the beast tossed itself around a few times and lay on its other side. All at once the ravens swooped down and pecked out its good eye. When it felt the pain, it jumped up and ran wildly around the forest. After it got its horn stuck in a thick oak tree, Fix-It- Up jumped out, cut off its head, and brought it to the king, who could no longer deny him his daughter. She was delivered to Fix-It-Up, who took a seat next to her in the coach. He was in full dress, just as he had come, and immediately drove off and brought the lovely princess to his lord. Fix-It-Up was given a fine reception, and the lord's wedding with the princess was celebrated in great splendor. Then Fix-It-Up was appointed prime minister.

0 comments:

Post a Comment